The starting point and entrance to the Exploradores Valley is the picturesque village of Pto. Río Tranquilo with a population of 500 situated at lake General Carrera.
Travelling by car you drive along the only North to South connection called Carretera Austral. The road to Bahía Exploradores starts in Pto. Río Tranquilo at the bridge close to the petrol station. This road is readily constructed upto km. 78 (individual excursions to laguna San Rafael are not yet possible, but under section "excursions" you will find a professional outfitter for that destination)
In an amazing landscape you drive past lago Tranquilo (km.10), the Nutria waterfall (km. 25) and along picturesque mountains and some hanging glacier- tongues. After 44 km. and more or less 1 hour drive you will get to our guesthouse.
The road is in quite a good shape so that all kind of vehicles, even camper trucks can pass along (attention: some very heavy vehicles might need to use the wades at the side of some of the smaller bridges)
Travelling by public transport:
- By airplane to Balmaceda (Lan Chile or Sky airlines daily from Santiago or Pto. Montt), from there with a public transfer to Coyhaique.
- By ferry from Pto. Montt to Pto. Chacabuco (Navimag 2-3 times a week), from there public coaches to Coyahique.
- From Coyhaique there are daily busses along the Carretera Austral leading south to Cochrane (the drive to Pto. Río Tranquilo takes about 4 hours).
- From Argentine (Los Antiguos) you pass the frontier to Chile Chico, from there you could use the public coach service to Pto. Río Tranquilo (2-3 times a week and it takes about 4 hours).
- From Pto. Río Tranquilo: you can find some private little busses who can drive you into the Exploradores Valley (for transports ask at the tourist information).
For the drive back to the village of Puerto Tranquilo we are at your disposal for up to 4 persons